This post is sponsored by Aflac. The views expressed in this article are my own.
What in the world is an independent contractor and what does a typical workday look like for one?
A few weeks back I talked about my experience working as an independent contractor and all the valuable skills I learned through the experience.
As we’re always exploring professional possibilities and “best fit’s” here at All Groan Up, I wanted to bring a perspective of an actual independent contractor for you all to get an even better idea of what the world of one is like.
Below is an interview with Kayla Mulligan, a successful independent sales agent who works with Aflac. Kayla went straight from college into being an independent contractor and in this interview she shares some great behind-the-scenes insight about what being an independent contractor has been like for her.
In this interview Kayla shares:
- The biggest shock for her as she left college and entered the working world.
- How she transitioned between two seemingly different worlds – from being a PR major to becoming an independent sales agent.
- What a “normal” day might look like for her in her role.
- The opportunities and challenges of being an independent contractor.
- What advice she would give herself five years ago to be more successful in business.
I think working as an independent contractor can be great fit for entry-level professionals, in particular, who are looking for more job flexibility and freedom than the standard office job.
Watch the interview below to see if a day in the life of a current independent contractor sounds like a possible good fit for you.
Aflac herein means American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus and American Family Company of New York. Aflac agents are independent sales agents and are not employees of Aflac.